RGBargy is a cartoony multiplayer game, completed by two of us as our final year project at the NCCA, Bournemouth University. Our aim for this project was to create a fun, crazy and universal video game that could be enjoyed by friends and family of all ages; together.
Software Development, Special Effects, C++, Networking, Integration
Music & Sound Design
My responsibility throughout the year was to fulfil the role of the artist; and I completed the preproduction, modelling, rigging, texturing and animating stages of the game.
For the given timeline of this project, we were only to complete a demonstration version of the video game. That being said, RGBargy has the potential for many more levels and game modes than that which has been completed so far!
I wanted to develop a unique visual aesthetic, and an iconic character design for our game.
On the right is some of the preproduction development I completed for the game.
As this would be an ‘arena’ game, the level had to be on a small scale – but we didn’t want the players to feel restricted. We chose to develop a ‘floating island’ as the level for the game.
I wanted to incorporate plants into the environment design as much as possible, and used juxtaposition to accentuate the fantasy theme. The players could then use bridges, ropes, or jump to travel from each mini-island to the next.
I took advantage of the fantasy genre and worked towards designing a simple, cute, cheeky and squat character that could represent each player within the game, as well as appealing to a younger audience.
The mechanics of the game meant that some of the player’s character would need to change colour in order to visually represent players scoring points within the game.
For this reason, the character was designed with a large beard mesh which would change colour during game-play.
(above; one of the final, low-poly assets.)
The cartoony style that we were going for meant that the assets for the game were low-poly, with simplistic textures.
(below; the final island environment, before being exported for Unreal Engine)
This was my first character rig, and my biggest learning curve throughout the project. Still, I wanted to create a cartoony rig with extra controls for moving the antennae and ears. The final rig was complete with squash, stretch, and IK/FK switch.
(right; final character rig with controls.)
The character was animated in Maya, before exporting the animations into Unreal Engine 4.
I also created the graphics used for the title screen and throughout the game!
The sound effects and music for our game were created by the talented Oliver King!
Check out his website and soundcloud below!
Play the gameplay track!
Visit Ollie’s Soundcloud!
Visit Ollie’s website!